Caring For Your Jewellery
Jewellery is very delicate so it’s important to take good care of it. At Bogart’s Jewellers, we offer many services, such as jewellery cleaning and repairs, to help keep your previous purchases in excellent shape. Here are some of our general care tips to ensure your jewellery is always in tip-top shape.
- Take your jewellery off before doing any activity that could knock or damage it.
- Take jewellery off before going to bed.
- Keep your jewellery away from chemicals, especially chlorine. If it does come in contact with any harsh chemicals, we recommend rinsing it in water immediately.
- Store your jewellery separately, ideally in a soft-lined box or case, so that your favourite pieces don’t tangle, rub, or scratch one another.
- Bathe and apply any lotions or perfumes before you put on your jewellery. These chemicals can damage stones like pearls or opals. If possible, apply perfumes and colognes before putting on jewellery and try to wear these products in areas that won’t come in contact with your gems.
If you have any concerns about the condition of your jewellery you are welcome to visit one of our in-store locations where we can evaluate your jewellery and give you an estimate for any repairs that may need to be done.
We offer complimentary ultrasonic cleaning on all jewellery purchased at Bogart’s Jewellers.
If you’d prefer to clean your own jewellery at home, here are some helpful tips to ensure your pieces shine for years to come.
Before choosing a cleaning method for your jewellery, it's important to understand your collection. At Bogart’s Jewellers, we always provide information about the gems that you purchase. We want to ensure you understand the best methods for cleaning and caring for your precious gems.
Standard jewellery cleaning products are safe to use on most jewellery but beware of products that contain ammonia or chemicals that can damage more sensitive gems like amber or pearl.
Follow these easy steps to safely clean your jewellery at home:
- Let your jewellery piece soak in a solution of warm water and jewellery cleaning solution. If you don’t have a cleaning solution, a mild detergent is a great alternative. Let the piece soak in the solution for a few moments.
- Use a soft cloth or brush to gently scrub your jewellery.
- You can use a small item like a toothpick to pick out any dirt or dust in hard to reach areas. Take it slow to avoid scratching or damaging your jewellery.
- After scrubbing, dip the jewellery back in the solution for one last wetting.
- Rinse in warm running water. Try to ensure that the water is the same temperature as your solution as rapidly changing temperatures can risk damaging your jewellery.
- Wipe dry with a soft cloth.